LabTech Support Forums

Service Monitoring

This forum is for discussion of alert related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Service Monitoring

Postby dplatt.pcsiweb » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:21 pm

I would like some feedback on how you folks monitor services. Specifically, in my past experience, I would always write a service check to use an AND operator. i.e. "If service xyz IS INSTALLED and IS NOT RUNNING, then autofix and generate a ticket if necessary". I do not see a way to accomplish that in LT. I am wondering if I can add an OR operator in the Result field (where it returns a 1 for Running or a 0 for Stopped). I would just need to figure out what integer LT would return for a service that is missing/not-installed. I am trying to avoid creating numerous groups/searches to auto join servers based upon the existence of a service.

Thank you
dplatt.pcsiweb

Re: Service Monitoring

Postby dplatt.pcsiweb » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:45 pm

Ha, looks like I just answered my own question. Funny, if you keep digging, sometimes you can figure something out.

If you change the "Condition" drop down box to "In Set (aa,bb)" and type in (no quotes) "-1, 1" in the Result field, that will return success/green if the service is Missing(-1) or Running(1). Schweet!!
dplatt.pcsiweb

Re: Service Monitoring

Postby teamits » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:44 pm

If "not installed" is OK, do you even need to test for it? LT should only populate installed services into the services table...?

For the "running" test we use InSet "('Running',4)" (with "invert check" checked) because it seems that some agents occasionally report in numbers instead of words. At least that's what is shown on that agent's Services tab.

I don't have an "In Set (aa,bb)" option so maybe you have v10?
Steve
teamits

Return to Alerting