LabTech Support Forums

Managing Groups

This forum is for discussion of group related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Managing Groups

Postby rgjertsen.gosilverpoint » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:59 pm

It's been a long time since I touched Groups and Searches at all, probably about 3 years, and even at that it was only scratching the surface - so I'm hoping to get some guidance from other forum member, on the "Labtech way" of doing this, before I go off on my adventure. ;)

I'm wanting to create a group / location / search, to which I can deploy computers into, and have specific things take place:

For example:
1) Install our Vipre AV.
2) Run all MS updates.
3) Uninstall Bing toolbar.
4) Run all third-party application updates (ie: Flash, Reader, etc.).

Now, obviously we have pre-defined scripts for 1 & 4, so I know what it is that has to be executed, but I'm not sure how to go about starting that initial execution.

For 2, I'm sure that's just a question of setting a specific patch policy to the group / search, and it will run through them.

For 3, I'm not sure if this is best to be done by a script, or an uninstall command. I'm thinking, since I'd like all these steps to be tracking into a ticket (long term) a script would be best, but I'm open to suggestions...???

I appreciate any input users are willing to provide.
Rob G
rgjertsen.gosilverpoint

Managing Groups

Postby mkeigher.choicesolutions » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:12 pm

rgjertsen.gosilverpoint wrote:It's been a long time since I touched Groups and Searches at all, probably about 3 years, and even at that it was only scratching the surface - so I'm hoping to get some guidance from other forum member, on the "Labtech way" of doing this, before I go off on my adventure. ;)

I'm wanting to create a group / location / search, to which I can deploy computers into, and have specific things take place:

For example:
1) Install our Vipre AV.
2) Run all MS updates.
3) Uninstall Bing toolbar.
4) Run all third-party application updates (ie: Flash, Reader, etc.).

Now, obviously we have pre-defined scripts for 1 & 4, so I know what it is that has to be executed, but I'm not sure how to go about starting that initial execution.

For 2, I'm sure that's just a question of setting a specific patch policy to the group / search, and it will run through them.

For 3, I'm not sure if this is best to be done by a script, or an uninstall command. I'm thinking, since I'd like all these steps to be tracking into a ticket (long term) a script would be best, but I'm open to suggestions...???

I appreciate any input users are willing to provide.

Hey Rob,

Looks like a year has gone by and no one has reached out to offer their help :O , so I thought I would step in and offer my assistance, if you still need any that is!?

Let me know if there is "still" anything I can do for you and we'll go from there. From what I'm seeing from your original message there is a lot I can help you with, especially with the 4th request! ;)

PS: One year is not my typical SLA! :)
Martyn T. Keigher - Managed Services Professional
Choice Solutions LLC

Join us in the ##labtech IRC channel @ http://bit.ly/WeDMb8.
- The channel created by LabTech users for LabTech users!

mkeigher.choicesolutions

Return to Group Management