LabTech Support Forums

Server 2012, SQL 2012, Exchange 2013

This forum is for discussion of group related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Postby sales.s2-computers » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:48 am

Hi,

I am a new Labtech partner and wondering what others are doing for monitoring Exchange 2013, SQL 2012 and Server 2012 itself as there are no groups on Labtech 2013 for them as standard?

Thanks

Andy
sales.s2-computers

Re: Server 2012, SQL 2012, Exchange 2013

Postby mkeigher.choicesolutions » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Hey Andy,

Pardon me for being the point here, but what in particular are you looking to monitor with these new MS products? I imagine the majority of today's available monitors are more than adequate for catching most things.

Kind of curious to know exactly what you want to monitor for though... As i might want to work with you in getting these complete.

Regards,
Martyn T. Keigher - Managed Services Professional
Choice Solutions LLC

Join us in the ##labtech IRC channel @ http://bit.ly/WeDMb8.
- The channel created by LabTech users for LabTech users!

mkeigher.choicesolutions

Postby sales.s2-computers » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:31 am

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the reply, I am surprised LabTech haven't put an update out with groups for these products yet but have been told they are expected in the 2014 release. In the meantime I have customers using them and was really asking what others had done to accommodate them. So far I have created new groups for them with searches to get machines joined to them. I haven't as yet done the tedious task of creating the various monitors on them (From what I can see I can't duplicate an existing group or copy the monitor from one to another?), I was planning to copy the Exchange 2010 one's for Exchange 2013 and SQL 2008 R2 for SQL 2012. However each of these products have some differences and therefore specific monitors, best practice reports tailored for that product would be a better solution.

Andy
sales.s2-computers

Postby peter.mccrackan.anittel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:52 pm

Well, a fair amount of time has passed since this post was created.
This is indeed becoming an issue.
There seems to be a whole bunch of perfmon counters etc that have been renamed, additional services etc.
The Exchange 2010 monitoring sets do not just "plug in" to an Exchange 2013 machine. There's a lot that just does not fit.
It has been stated by LabTech support that an update later in the year, probably the 2014 release will contain the necessary monitoring sets, but hey thats too late for us.
It seems we are going to have manually rebuild a new set. :'( if we want to fill this gaping hole in monitoring.
Has anyone else done anything yet?

Regards Peter.
peter.mccrackan.anittel

Postby peter.mccrackan.anittel » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:08 am

We can in fact duplicate Groups by exporting them, ( click on Export when you have the group open ) then re-importing it. That's a life saver for Remote Monitor duplication into new groups! But, sadly a number of remote monitors for Exchange 2010 wont be suitable for Exchange 2013.
There's a gotchya that's not in the documentation for this, you need to open the exported XML file and remove the GUID entry, then the XML file imports fine. You could also rename the Group within the XML file too I guess if you wanted.

However, the configuration for Role detection and so on, goes real deep and makes me nervous about creating new searches, monitors, groups etc. There's even a line in the Exchange Server Role detection script that excludes Exchange 2013 and exits the script because it's not yet supported.

Regards Peter.
peter.mccrackan.anittel

Postby andrew.imni » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:38 am

Add to that, when labtech does come out with the proper monitoring scripts , will they not overwrite any customization that were done - especially for those of us on the hosted platform?
andrew.imni

Postby mkeigher.choicesolutions » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 pm

Hey Peter...

Instead of copying groups, monitors, assoc. searches and configuring GUID's etc ... You should REALLY this out instead,

http://www.labtechgeek.com/forum/viewto ... ?t=63#p121

Should be tons easier for you to do what it sounds like you wanna do, or already are doing!!

Enjoy.
Martyn T. Keigher - Managed Services Professional
Choice Solutions LLC

Join us in the ##labtech IRC channel @ http://bit.ly/WeDMb8.
- The channel created by LabTech users for LabTech users!

mkeigher.choicesolutions

Postby teamits » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:46 am

andrew.imni wrote:Add to that, when labtech does come out with the proper monitoring scripts , will they not overwrite any customization that were done

Years ago a new script would just replace any script with that ID number. More recently they have been using GUIDs so it is very unlikely scripts will be overwritten. However if you edit an existing script then update it via the Marketplace your changes will be overwritten, so we just make copies of scripts. Since overwritten scripts was an issue back in the day, we name all our searches, scripts, monitors, etc. with "ITS" in the name so we know it's ours.
Steve
teamits

Return to Group Management