LabTech Support Forums

Windows Update "do nothing"...

This forum is for discussion of template related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Windows Update "do nothing"...

Postby dana.goyette.cleverducks » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:37 pm

What, precisely, is the "do nothing" template setting supposed to do?

I'd assume it would restore local control of the update settings, but that's not happening. On one of my systems, it's staying at "Never check for updates", with the message of "Some settings are managed by your system administrator".

When I set "Windows Update Defaults", it restores local control, but ALSO enables "Automatically Install", which I don't want.

(My ideal behavior of "do nothing" would be to restore whatever it was set to before LabTech took control.)
dana.goyette.cleverducks

Re: Windows Update "do nothing"...

Postby rob » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:48 pm

'Do Nothing' is literal. It makes no changes to the existing settings - whatever they are.
rob

Postby dana.goyette.cleverducks » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 pm

Okay, then how do you reset the Windows settings to be locally managed, but NOT forcibly set them to "install automatically"? I believe all the other options force it to display "these settings are managed by your system administrator" -- except for "reset to defaults", which also enables auto-install.
dana.goyette.cleverducks

Postby rob » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:10 pm

The first thing I'd do is check this pageand see if any of the available LT settings fit your requirements. If so, you've an easy fix. Otherwise there are only a few ways I know to make this change: click on the local machine to change its settings, use a group policy or make a registry change. I don't figure a LabTech admin would want to do either of the first two options so a registry change is the ticket.

This page will help you determine the registry whats & wheres. Use a LabTech script to make your changes. Please, just as with everything else, test this before running on a customer's machine! Image I've personally had good success making Windows desktops do what I need 'em to do using just registry keys. Be aware, some setting changes will require a logout\login before they are realized.
rob

Return to Templates