LabTech Support Forums

Template Priority

This forum is for discussion of template related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Template Priority

Postby sbarnes.realtime-it » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Please explain priority. I understand 1 gets applied before 10, but does 10 override 1?

I know I shouldn't but; if there were 2 templates with the same setting, one with a priority of 2 and one with a priority of 9, after all templates have been applied will the agent have the setting from 2 or from 9?
{ yes, i am THE MrRat }
sbarnes.realtime-it

Re: Template Priority

Postby jcook.help-now » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:19 pm

From the notes in the All Agents group:

This group will contain all the Agents in your LabTech system. The Default template will be applied to these computers to set basic agent settings. This template is set to priority 0 to ensure it is the first template applied to systems which allows other templates to over write settings applied by this one. LabTech security is controlled from this group since it contains all of your computers.
jcook.help-now

Postby teamits » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:34 pm

I had subscribed to this thread some time ago to watch for an answer, before we upgraded to v2012, and forgot about it. Your post about priority 0 is rather interesting. Our All Agents group does not have that note but that may be because we have an older system and they don't update the group notes.

However, I eventually asked support as part of another ticket and they told me, "Priority 10 is the highest. Each higher priority template gets applied over that merged or trumped the other lower priority."

So is priority 0 higher than priority 10? Or was support wrong and that's why what I was trying to do with him didn't work?
Steve
teamits

Postby teamits » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:37 pm

I reread the group note posted and I think they are trying to say that priority 0 is the lowest priority, hence it is applied to a system first. Priority 1 would be applied second and overwrite any settings from 0, etc.

That matches with what support told me but it still doesn't explain why it didn't work for us. Overall our issue is that (for years) many of our templates and thus Effective Policy often show the schedule as "Not Set." That setting cannot be enabled or disabled like all the other settings. Raising the priority of our schedule template did not override that.
Steve
teamits

Postby cwright.labtechsoftware » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Priority 10 is the lowest. Priority 0 is the highest.

Ex.
Two groups with the same agent in each group
Group 1 - Priority 10 template with Tray Text: 10 Wins
Group 2 - Priority 3 template with Tray Text: 3 Wins

After the agent config updates, the tray text will display: 3 Wins
imagination is more important than knowledge, but knowledge is still power
cwright.labtechsoftware

Postby teamits » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:15 pm

cwright.labtechsoftware wrote:Priority 10 is the lowest. Priority 0 is the highest.

In that case the note posted above from the All Agents group is backwards, that should be reported as a bug. I have notified support (ticket 1905036) they had it backwards and we'll try fixing our issue with the templates the other way.
Steve
teamits

Postby cwright.labtechsoftware » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:43 am

It has been reported, but may take time for all online references to get updated. Please feel free to reply back on the thread with your results. I've tested myself, but realize field tests will always carry more weight :D
imagination is more important than knowledge, but knowledge is still power
cwright.labtechsoftware

Postby matt.presque » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:20 am

cwright.labtechsoftware wrote:Priority 10 is the lowest. Priority 0 is the highest.

Ex.
Two groups with the same agent in each group
Group 1 - Priority 10 template with Tray Text: 10 Wins
Group 2 - Priority 3 template with Tray Text: 3 Wins

After the agent config updates, the tray text will display: 3 Wins

Can someone PLEASE just put this in the documentation under templates...as a KB if you have too! I hate wasting time looking at out of date documentation!
matt.presque

Postby matt.rohler.myitpros » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:46 am

I can save you alot of time.

Don't look at the documentation, its pretty terrible at best. I find more info/help from the other Columbus's on the forum.

Its a whole new world in Labtech, just waiting to be discovered. Watch out for the Natives though, they are dangerous.
matt.rohler.myitpros

Postby trusso.labtechsoftware » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:39 am

I apologize if you find our documentation lacking, we are actively trying to improve it on a daily basis.

I also apologize if support gave you the wrong information.

That being said I was able to find the information for this question here.

http://docs.labtechsoftware.com/documentation/LabTech2013#Configuration/AgentTemplates/HowAreTemplatesApplied.htm?Highlight=priority
trusso.labtechsoftware

Return to Templates