LabTech Support Forums

Symantec Cloud Endpoint Protection Template

This forum is for discussion of antivirus related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Symantec Cloud Endpoint Protection Template

Postby aschauer.helpdesk » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:48 am

Hi all,

We us Symantec Endpoint Cloud is our Labtech environment. I have previously reached out to Labtech support (years ago) to set up a customized template. AS the versions have changed, I have updated the templates without any issues. Now I am seeing problems with some systems detecting Symantec cloud version 22.9.3.13 on windows 7 64 bit systems. I have reached out to Connectwise Automate support and I was promptly told they do not support customized templates, which was amazing to me since the tech that helped me remoted into our server to set it up originally. Needless to say the support was no help. So now I am stuck with this challenge. These are the templates I have setup:

A.) Program Location: C:\Program Files\Symantec.cloud\EndpointProtectionAgent\Endpoint Protection.cloud\Engine\22.9.3.13\NIS.exe
Definition Location: %ProgramFiles%\Symantec.cloud\EndpointProtectionAgent\NortonData\22.9.3.13\Definitions\AntiSpamDefs\definfo.dat

B.) Program Location: %ProgramFiles%\Symantec.cloud\EndpointProtectionAgent\Engine\22.9.3.13\NIS.exe
Definition Location: %ProgramFiles%\Symantec.cloud\EndpointProtectionAgent\NortonData\22.9.3.13\Definitions\AntiSpamDefs\definfo.dat

C.) Program location: %Program Files%\Symantec.cloud\EndpointProtectionAgent\Endpoint Protection.cloud\Engine\22.9.3.13\Nis.exe
Definition Location: %ProgramFiles%\Symantec.cloud\EndpointProtectionAgent\NortonData\22.9.3.13\Definitions\VirusDefs\definfo.dat

The directories are varied across systems. I have verified that some systems have created duplicate directories within Symantec.cloud folder. I assumed this happened during the big update last year. On one of the affected machines, I ran the dir cmd and pulled the location right from there. The problem is Labtech still is not detecting the software. The only difference I see is that there is a space in the bolded directories. Would this matter? I'm really banging my head on the wall with this one. Any help would be great, since support is less supportive of issues these days.
aschauer.helpdesk

Re: Symantec Cloud Endpoint Protection Template

Postby teamits » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:35 pm

This is what we have for "Norton Internet Security SDS 64bit - 22.9" for SEP SBE:

program location: {%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\InstalledApps:Norton Internet Security-%}\NIS.exe
def. location: {%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Common Client\PathExpansionMap:DATADIR-%}\Definitions\SDSDefs\definfo.dat
AP process: nis*
Date mask: (.*)

The "{%- -%}" looks up the path in the registry by key:value.

Edit: Either 22.8 or 22.9 changed the def directory from VirusDefs to SDSDefs.
Steve
teamits

Postby aschauer.helpdesk » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 am

@teamits-

Thank you! I added that the the Virus scan templates, pushed the configs, updated the Inventory and POOF it appeared! Thanks for the response and the help. :D
aschauer.helpdesk

Postby teamits » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:33 pm

You're welcome.

I believe I read a couple years back that LabTech stopped providing config updates for virus configs that they don't resell.

tip: you can type 'dir "{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\Common Client\PathExpansionMap:DATADIR-%}\Definitions\SDSDefs\definfo.dat"' in a cmd prompt tab to see if you've got the right location for the file.

Symantec has changed theirs a couple times...I think the registry location once or twice and then the directory name from VirusDefs to SDSDefs. Their support has actually been helpful in locating the file on the new version of the software.
Steve
teamits

Return to Antivirus