LabTech Support Forums

Critical Blacklist tickets & Reading View

This forum is for discussion of ticket related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Critical Blacklist tickets & Reading View

Postby jerry.digitaltruss » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Good morning,

I am experiencing two problems with Tickets in Labtech. I've reported them to support and after many weeks I am still being told that the problem is being looked at by the developers. The problem seems very serious to me, so I've been curious as to why no one has reported it in the forums.

First, when a ticket is generated for a Critical Blacklist Event, the ticket data is horribly truncated and displays only a snippet of text from the middle of the event description. For example:
The first Critical Blacklist Event found: l the data for the file \$Mft::$BITMAP. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a fail
or
The first Critical Blacklist Event found: e extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error.

In some cases you recognize the error and know how to proceed, but often the message is too cryptic to go on and you have to go to the Event Logs and look for the detail.

This problem is bad enough, but we have a second problem whereby the Reading View is not being rendered properly. This started with an update a few months ago. It is hard to describe, and I can't provide a screenshot because it will reveal too much client information. It's basically just the header of the Reading View repeated over and over again, with the borders moving in by one bar each time it is displayed. The information in the repeated header is an iteration of each client computer we manage. The event log messages are never displayed here. If you're experiencing this, you know what I'm talking about.

I'm not so much looking for a solution to these here than checking to see if anyone else is having the problem. I'm not at all happy with how long it is taking Labtech to address these issues for me. Tickets are very difficult to work with in their current state.

Thank you
jerry.digitaltruss

Re: Critical Blacklist tickets & Reading View

Postby teamits » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:23 pm

re: events being truncated, I think 1) the field isn't long enough for some long event text, and 2) LT has (or had, in v10.x, which we have) issues with line breaks and slashes and other characters. For instance support had us change the Identity Field for several internal monitors to something like:

substr(concat(eventlogs.logname,'/', eventlogs.eventid,' - ', replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(eventlogs.message,'\'', ''),'\"', ''),'\\', ''), '\t', ''), '\r', ''), '\n', '')), 1, 99)

...which replaces a half dozen characters with blanks and truncates the text (99 chars).
Steve
teamits

Postby jerry.digitaltruss » Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:20 am

I received a call from a Support Management person earlier this week. He assures me that the problem with the Reading View does affect everyone on this version, and they are diligently working on it. However, I don't understand why I haven't gotten one reply to this post confirming someone else is seeing that problem. Surely someone has read this post and is having the problem? Does it not bother you that you cannot read your tickets?

If someone IS on the latest version and is NOT having this problem, would you mind replying? This problem has gone on long enough...the inability to read my tickets is infuriating.
jerry.digitaltruss

Postby ian.integra-xp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:37 am

Well, i think partly its because you posted on the 27th of dec and the LT chats and forums have been veeeery quiet all over the holidays.

Also, its not new. This 'problem' has been around a while. Previously (as in more than a year back) events were uploaded but truncating the strings to the first X characters. This meant that much of the useful info was lost as the first x characters are often the same. So, someone or other decided to truncate to the *last* X characters... or something similar.

This has led to a new problem with texts which make no sense at all as the introduction text is missing.

I'm inclined to say this may be better done via an option or a script which can be modified.

The real solution is a better approach to handling event logs. One which intelligently discards what is uninteresting and only uploads what is left.
-- Ian Murphy
ian.integra-xp

Postby jerry.digitaltruss » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:34 pm

HA! Silly of me to be spending part of my holiday worrying about Labtech!

Anyway, I agree that the event log truncation has been around for awhile, and I agree that they should be handled differently. In fact, that is kind of what we were sold on while switching from Kaseya; that things like event log noise were filtered down so that we were only alerted on things that truly matter.

This was probably my fault for combing two issues in one post. The issue I'm curious about with others is the Reading View. Are you seeing the repeating headers in Reading View? I do not see any content there...only a repeated header, iterating through all of my clients. It's a formatting error of some kind.
jerry.digitaltruss

Postby darrin.rent-a-nerd » Wed May 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Has this been resolved?
darrin.rent-a-nerd

Return to Ticketing