LabTech Support Forums

Mobile access security & permissions

This forum is for discussion of the LabTech Android app.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Mobile access security & permissions

Postby east.emdnet » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:55 am

Has anyone tested security on the Android version of Labtech? We use iPhones and I found out that technicians who I spent hours setting up with specific permissions and security had full Super Admin access to all accounts, passwords, etc. when logging in with their credentials on the mobile iPhone version. This is a huge problem for me because of sensitive data / passwords on our internal servers and several customers who demand their information and access to their computers be limited to certain techs or just management at their IT company (us).

If you use the Android version, can you let me know if this has the same problem? LabTech says it was only meant for administrative purposes, but the fact that you can't limit mobile access for only certain users tells me otherwise, and the website says "...delivers the power that your technicians need while in the field through their compatible mobile device." So I think it was just a huge oversight. They said they will fix in next version but I do have access to some Android phones so if it worked properly on those I may use them for now. Thanks.
east.emdnet

Re: Mobile access security & permissions

Postby slogan.labtechsoftware » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:39 am

Security permissions are implemented on the server-side of LabTech, which means permissions will be the same across all mobile devices.We will have improved security for the next release, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
slogan.labtechsoftware
Global Moderator

Postby jgreer.cdsot » Tue May 31, 2011 11:00 am

Wow - this is a MAJOR security breach. One of our engineers just loaded the iPhone app. Since he said it was cool...I loaded the Droid app. I was shocked and sick to my stomach when I saw that he could browse ALL customers and get ALL their passwords. This alone is almost reason to switch off of Labtech - truly scary. Then when I opened ticket with support, I was sent a non-working link that referenced how to 'mitigate' this issue and the case was closed. Doesn't leave a good feeling in my stomach.
jgreer.cdsot

Postby slogan.labtechsoftware » Tue May 31, 2011 11:06 am

Again, I apologize for this inconvenience. We have a new build that will be out in a few weeks that will provide better security. In the meantime, you should disable web access for all users until you can get the upgrade.
slogan.labtechsoftware
Global Moderator

Postby jason.axeontech » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Has it been a few weeks yet?
jason.axeontech

Postby hrumbough » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:53 pm

The upgrade to 40.193 worked for us. Our person that is an onsite IT person only has access to his site. However, the droid shows very few scripts than the IPhone. However, the droid can run scripts against a site; where IPhone can only do scripts to a machine. We set permissions for the user and If you Click on Client there is an additional permissions screen.
hrumbough

Return to 26A. Android