LabTech Support Forums

silent installs failing

This forum is for discussion of expansion script related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

silent installs failing

Postby luke.incomservice » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:27 pm

If I run this command from the command line: c:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe /qn /i c:\windows\Temp\NetExtender.4.0.125.MSI /le c:\windows\temp\sonicwall_error.txt ...the software installs.

If I run the same command as "process execute as admin (or user and put in administrative credentials), the install fails with this in the log file:

=== Logging started: 2/11/2011 14:20:29 ===
Error 1401. Could not create key: S-1-5-21-1871526830-486617389-313125069-1000\Software\Microsoft. System error 87. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
=== Logging stopped: 2/11/2011 14:20:30 ===

I've tried Shell execute as well (both admin and user and just normally). When the msiexec process starts, if I watch in the task manager, it is running as the correct user. I just can't understand why it fails the install when running it via command prompt succeeds.

I am trying to install on a Windows 7 machine - I've tested on Vista with the same result. UAC is off on one machine and on on the other.
luke.incomservice

Re: silent installs failing

Postby vernon.app-care » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:40 am

Luke,

That does not run using the standard process execute which uses the system account?

What format do you have the username in? It should be netbios-domain-name\username or machine-name\username. Does the process execute as Admin work for anything else. Considering you are deploying a vpn client, are the machines domain connected, if you are using a domain user, to authenticate as admin?
Vernon Southmayd
Java, Reader, iTunes and others - Audited, Updated, Verified, Ticketed and Billed
web: http://www.app-care.com
vernon.app-care

Postby luke.incomservice » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 am

If I use the standard process execute, it does install the program, but it doesn't create any shortcuts or register the program in Add/Remove programs, but the application still seems to run.

Process execute works for everything else that I've used it for (including App-Care). If I use the domain\user of the currently logged in user, the application installs fine. If user the domain\user of the domain administrator, the application fails install with the error about not being able to read the registry. I have logged into that machine with the domain administrator before (not like it should matter though...).
luke.incomservice

Postby vernon.app-care » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:25 pm

It sounds like the netextender installer is looking to setup the environment for whatever user is running it. The system account is giving it problems. Net Extender has to be attempting to set user specific settings in HKCU and/or setting user specific desktop shortcuts. iTunes and quicktime also act this way, but are smart enough to fire off a user specific install process to populate user specific settings after a system wide install.
Vernon Southmayd
Java, Reader, iTunes and others - Audited, Updated, Verified, Ticketed and Billed
web: http://www.app-care.com
vernon.app-care

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:50 am

I believe Process Execute as Admin is broken in LabTech. It never works for me when Shell as Admin will work fine. Though, I need to use Process Execute as Admin for long running scripts.

Postby luke.incomservice » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Just for reference... I ultimately had to install this manually. There were too many problems with installing SonicWall's NetExtender "silently." To start with there was the issue of no icons, etc that I referenced. Then there was the problem that when installing on a machine that had never had it installed before, it would fail due to unsigned drivers. I couldn't find a way to work around that.
luke.incomservice

Return to 29B. Scripts