LabTech Support Forums

Disk Cleanup Manager and Compression

This forum is for discussion of expansion script related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Disk Cleanup Manager and Compression

Postby dcollins.edtsolutions » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:13 am

It appears that when the "Disk Cleanup" script runs (on servers), it is compressing files (all files on the affected partition). What is the best way to disable the compression portion of this script?
dcollins.edtsolutions

Re: Disk Cleanup Manager and Compression

Postby dcollins.edtsolutions » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 am

dcollins.edtsolutions

Postby teamits » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:45 am

Disk Cleanup should run Disk Clean Setup if the checked-for registry setting is not present...?
Steve
teamits

Postby dcollins.edtsolutions » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 pm

I've tested this twice this morning. With the default reg key cleared, as recommended in the link above, when disk cleanup is run, it skips the phase where it looks for files that can be compressed. Disk cleanup still runs but does not compress.

I'm always interested in better solutions so please let me know if you find anything.

I would prefer if there was a flag that could be added to the script to ignore the compression feature, but haven't found one yet.
dcollins.edtsolutions

Postby luke.incomservice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:01 am

I may be missing something critical... but is there a reason to run the Microsoft disk cleanup tool as opposed to Labtech's own disc cleanup function (http://support.labtechsoftware.com/comp ... m/559.html)?

Linked updated by admin, 30 July 12
luke.incomservice

Postby dcollins.edtsolutions » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks for the post and link!
dcollins.edtsolutions

Postby isibryan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am

lpopejoy wrote:I may be missing something critical... but is there a reason to run the Microsoft disk cleanup tool as opposed to Labtech's own disc cleanup function (http://support.labtechsoftware.com/comp ... m/559.html)?

From what I can tell:
- The LabTech "Disk Cleanup" function deletes temp files specified in the Dashboard settings.
- The "Disk Cleanup" script runs cleanmgr.exe based on registry settings in the "Disk Clean Setup" script AND also runs the "Disk Cleanup" function.
isibryan

Postby vernon.app-care » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:19 pm

You are completely right.
Vernon Southmayd
Java, Reader, iTunes and others - Audited, Updated, Verified, Ticketed and Billed
web: http://www.app-care.com
vernon.app-care

Postby cperez.cmpcs » Wed May 25, 2011 2:05 pm

It seems that we're facing an issue with the default cleanup script. The %TEMP%\Low directory is getting blown away, and if the user isn't an admin, the directory is not re-created when the user launches IE again. We're seeing this on PC's, and RDP sessions, where we have to manually go in an recreate the %TEMP%\Low directory, and run icacls %TEMPT%\Low /setintegritylevel low. This seems to affect users that lock their workstations, rather than log-off. I'm not sure how to add this to the script, and we've mostly been using the built in scripts. The first thing needed is to check whether or not the Low directory exists, if it does, just reset permissions. The trick here is to figure out what user's directory may have been blown away....
cperez.cmpcs

Postby teamits » Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm

In our system (v2010.2) the Config/Configurations/Disk Cleanup list has an entry for:

{%-HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList:ProfilesDirectory-%}\*\AppData\Local\Temp

I am not sure if we added the above line or not...we had added several since temp files were being missed in earlier versions of Labtech. That said I have a "Low" directory on my PC but it is empty, unlike the temp folder.

To prevent the above from deleting subdirectory contents, uncheck the Recurse Subdirectories checkbox and click Save.

Like other areas of Labtech be sure you have selected the correct line before you Save...for instance if you want to create a new entry you have to hit Refresh List so the Save/Add button shows Add, otherwise you're editing an existing entry.
Steve
teamits

Postby jason.makingtecheasy » Fri May 27, 2011 11:51 am

Steve,

We are experiencing the same issue with the Low folder being blown away. I am not following you on how to uncheck the box as I am not finding your steps.

If you could, can you please elaborate more on how to correct this?

Thank you!!!

Jason
jason.makingtecheasy

Postby teamits » Fri May 27, 2011 11:56 am

In our system (v2010.2) click Dashboard/Config/Configurations/Disk Cleanup, and there is a Recurse Subdirectories checkbox at the top of the screen. You do have to click/highlight the line you wish to modify.
Steve
teamits

Postby jason.makingtecheasy » Fri May 27, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks Steve, I have found it. I don't have the same line as you have in your posting, but I have "*\Local Settings\Temp" line. Would that be the one I uncheck for to stop the Low folder from being deleted?

Thanks again Steve!
jason.makingtecheasy

Postby teamits » Fri May 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Jason, I'm not sure...if that's the directory that contains the folder then it sounds like it. We did add several entries to ours that were not included in 2010.x.

Upon reflection I think at one time we found that Labtech's system would delete files but not subfolders, however, perhaps they've fixed that in recent versions, or I'm misremembering.
Steve
teamits

Postby dbenet.thesummitgroup » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:04 pm

This issue has vexed me for quite some time.

We have used login scripts, manually recreating and assigning the correct rights etc.

We have had a client give us feedback that they want this resolved once and for all. I did some digging and found:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2762808

It has versions for IE8 and IE9. The hotfix requires a restart of the affected computer.

The hotfix has resolved the issue with IE blank printing/print preview for us on the terminal servers we support.

David Benet
The Summit Group
Melbourne, Australia
dbenet.thesummitgroup

Return to 29B. Scripts