LabTech Support Forums

Can Blacklisting software uninstall it?

This forum is for discussion of maintenance window related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Can Blacklisting software uninstall it?

Postby scott.acmecomputer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:16 am

I am new to LabTech and I was tasked to remove TeamViewer from all of our clients. Someone said "just put it in the blacklist" and it will uninstall the software. Well I did, and it didn't, but the other tech swears that is how they uninstalled Steam. Is this true? I think I have to write an uninstall script.

LabTech 10.5
scott.acmecomputer

Re: Can Blacklisting software uninstall it?

Postby teamits » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:56 am

We don't have Ignite, but for our system blacklisting a program triggers an alert.

We also don't have TeamViewer but there are some caveats to uninstalling software remotely:

Right click the entry in the Software tab and choose Software/Uninstall Application. That is the uninstaller registered with Windows.

If it is using MSI (msiexec.exe) then 99% of the time it will uninstall silently. If it works you can just create a script to run that uninstaller command. e.g. Adobe Reader 11.0.16 is "msiexec.exe /x{ac76ba86-7ad7-1033-7b44-ab0000000001} /qn". Run msiexec /? on your PC to see parameters.

If it is not using MSI then 99% of the time it will NOT uninstall silently, and will display a prompt in the agent's user context, which of course will never be seen by a human. So the process will sit there until the PC restarts or it is killed.
Steve
teamits

Postby scott.acmecomputer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks teamits, that's what I thought, the post was helpful. One more question (stupid I know) but you said "Right click the entry in the Software tab and choose Software/Uninstall Application".... where is the software tab? :roll:
scott.acmecomputer

Postby teamits » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:48 pm

The Software tab is one of the tabs when you double click a computer and open its window.
Steve
teamits

Postby meg.gsitc » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:28 pm

We ran into a similar request; but approached it a bit differently:

1. Perform the uninstall once for one machine and confirm it worked
2. Go to commands tab, highlight the relevant commands needed to uninstall (include any manualy cmd tasks) and create a new script
3. Tweak and test the script (be sure to add lines to create tickets and add time to the ticket)
4. Create a search group to include systems with that software installed
5. Schedule the script to run on that search group as needed

hope that helps?

(ie we used this method when quicktime for windows needed to be uninstalled for everyone. we were still alerted because it was blacklisted, but within a few hours, the script would run and the software would be uninstalled. The monitor would reset for the next day. We also copy the script and use it for things like outdated versions of Adobe and Java, known and easy to remove malware, toolbars, and other annoying applications.

please share if you have an easier way to automate something like this?
meg.gsitc

Return to Maintenance Windows