LabTech Support Forums

UNinstall Software Script

This forum is for discussion of maintenance window related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

UNinstall Software Script

Postby mike.ruff.dns-mn » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Hello all,

I am wondering if there is a script built into LabTech that I can apply that will allow me to remove software behind the scenes on all of my clients PC? I would like to achieve this without end user disruption.

Thank you!

Re: UNinstall Software Script

Postby teamits » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:30 am

If you right click the program on the Software tab you can find Windows' uninstall string. With many programs that use msiexec they can be uninstalled silently, and that string (and GUID) can be used in a custom script to be run on all PCs. Test though, because some (e.g. Symantec Endpoint Protection v11) restart automatically when finished, while others (Java, SEP 12) do not.

Generally I've found that programs that don't use msiexec and have a custom uninstaller can't be uninstalled silently because they prompt for input, and running in the background no one can see or answer the prompt.

Re: UNinstall Software Script

Postby jmyers.convergedsystems » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:43 am

There are a few uninstallers provided as part of the default script set which you can use for reference, but what you're looking for you'll have to do yourself.

Removing software silently is tricky. It is also dependent on what installation method or framework the application you are looking to remove uses - some are more easy to manipulate behind the scenes than others.

If it's straight Windows Installer (came packaged as a .msi), you can typically use this command:

Code: Select all
msiexec /x [product GUID] /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

Or if the application used the Nullsoft Scriptable Install System (NSIS):
[path to application]\uninstall.exe /S

Or try using WMIC: (XP/2003 systems, must use shell as admin or named user)
wmic product where "name like '[AppName]'" call uninstall /nointeractive

Note not all systems have the "product" class of WMI.

Also, in the Software tab, if you right click on any software entry, hover over the Software menu item, and click "Uninstall", it will give you the uninstall command the program presents to Windows (usually). This may help you in the development of your script.

edit: This post would have been better placed in the Scripting forum too.

Return to Maintenance Windows