LabTech Support Forums

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

This forum is for discussion of agent related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

Postby lsheets.discoverysoftinc » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:39 am

Does anyone have the agent installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials? I attempted to install the agent on a server with this several versions ago (2012.2) and it locked up the server. I had to boot to Safe Mode to remove it. As a result, the server went unmonitored. I have been on the current version of LabTech (10.5) for a while, but have been hesitant to install the current agent because the server is in another state. That said, I'm also getting tired of the constant work-arounds.

LabTech says Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials is not supported, but I want to know if anyone is using it anyway. It's hard to understand why it had this affect. I can't imagine what is so different between versions of Windows Server that would cause the agent installation to lock up a server.
lsheets.discoverysoftinc

Re: Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials

Postby teamits » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Interesting. I hadn't looked at their chart (https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/LabTec ... ent|_____3) recently. They don't list agent support for SBS either, or differentiate any versions of 2012 or 2012 R2 like they do with prior Server editions, but it's been working for us on 2013.x and 10.5. Unfortunately I don't think we have any servers running Essentials.

If it was a .Net error I wouldn't think it would lock up the server. An option might be to create "no" files in c:\windows\ltsvc to turn off a couple things:

nosensors - turn off hardware sensor checks
nosensor - I've have support give me both spellings
noshadow - don't look for ShadowProtect jobs/data/logs
Steve
teamits

Postby steve.technigogo » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:34 pm

I have it running on a client's server. Installed without a hitch and is running without a hitch.

Server: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials x64
LabTech version: v105.226
Steve Waller
Technigogo Technology Services
Austin, Texas
steve.technigogo

Postby steven.hewitt.greenduck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Not in a position to test, but I find that very unlikely.

2012 R2 Essentials is just an edition of Windows Server 2012 R2 - it's the same version (unlike SBS). E.g Essentials, Standard, Datacentre are all the same version of Windows. Difference is licensing. (Essentials is capped to 25 users I think and has no licence to run Windows VM's. Standard you get 2 VM's, and Datacentre is unlimited.)

In fact if you have Standard or even Datacentre and want the Essentials experience (e.g. want to sync to O365 without a DirSync / Azure AD Connect installation or a easy to use basic UI for user administration) you can install it as a feature! It's built in to the other editions!
steven.hewitt.greenduck

Return to Agent