LabTech Support Forums

Can't close Control Center in Windows 10

This forum is for discussion of Control Center related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Re: Can't close Control Center in Windows 10

Postby ian.integra-xp » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:52 am

The cc-not-supported-under-win10 statement a bit of a copout. We upgraded to win10 from win8.1, where we had absolutely no issues with any package, except Labtech CC which required admin elevation. We also had a similar issue occasionally on windows 7.

So, the issue is not with windows 10, but those of us who have upgraded continuously to try and find a solution are now not supportable. Convenient, no?

I did identify the cause of the problem we were seeing (elevation being required to run CC), which is that CC launches a shell command ('cacls' or 'icacls', I can't remember which) to change the privileges on, if I remember correctly, c:\programdata
- This requires elevation.
- Its not a plugin as it occurs with no plugins enabled
- It doesn't occur on all machines or all the time.

Issues with
- being unable to close tunnels
- being unable to open more tunnels
- cc crashing regularly
- weird loooong pauses when opening windows
- intermittant inability to open computerviews from searches
- cc needing to be killed
- cc crashing when more than 5 tunnels were open

have all been reported repeatedly by us in the last few years. The response has always been similar:

- its our config as noone else sees this (always untrue when we ask other partners)
- its because we leave cc open a long time (could be, why should we close it constantly to fix a bug')
- its becuse we're running windows version x (doesn't matter which version, whichever version you've got its the issue)
- its our av - easily disproved.

The only issue I've seen fixed in 3 years has been one with opening more than 5 tunnels - which was due to flakey thread handling. All the rest of the above issues have been around for or introduced in the last three years.

By the time win10 is supported there will be new stuff which won't work, so upgrading really won't make much difference.
-- Ian Murphy
ian.integra-xp

Postby teamits » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:44 pm

Ian, I've seen some of those with Windows 7. I don't normally run the CC as an admin user but I do recall versions where that was required in order after upgrading versions, and/or plugins.

Unable to close tunnels: have seen this rarely, and relatively recently...this year only? At about the point tunnels stop responding, I can check and find that ltclient.exe is using 100% of one CPU core as if a process is stuck. Closing/ending the program is a solution.

See if this helps any: https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/knowle ... ticle/5784. At one point a couple of us were getting connection messages repeating every minute or so once we opened a tunnel and this KB fixed it.

I also get the intermittent inability to open computers from searches. Sometimes it seems like after it stops working, it starts again later.

You've probably been around long enough to have done this, but for lurkers with tunnel issues, read and re-read the docs on configuring your router and your clients' routers. That helped a lot and they changed it over the years (as of a couple years ago).
Steve
teamits

Postby teamits » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:17 pm

ian.integra-xp wrote:intermittant inability to open computerviews from searches

I just "fixed" this by using Tools/Reload System Cache.
Steve
teamits

Postby ian.integra-xp » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 am

The being unable to close tunnels is probably due to be rewriting of the threading model... though thats just speculation. There was an issue with running more than 5 tunnels at once - like noone eeeeever opens connections to more than 5 machines at once - which I debugged back to a single loop which wasn't correctly handling a threading event. This was apparently a known issue and was scheduled to be rewritten to take advantage of a new .net threading model. As far as I know this was done and the 5 machines issue has disappeared. However in the meantime we purchased screenconnect and hardly ever bother with tunnels any more, so I really can't be sure.

However we've all experienced the new issue of being unable to close CC which we think is tunnel related, but we can't be sure. You leave it open for a week and then try to close it, but it won't and you have to kill it. Was this due to a tunnel which you opened a few days before, or something else?

At the moment, the search and ticket links not working issue is a real pain. It happens all the time and the only solution I've found is to close down CC. It invariably happens when I'm in the middle of something and have 5-6 machines open or something similar and closing down is annoying.

Ian
-- Ian Murphy
ian.integra-xp

Postby kweller.omegapa » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:19 pm

This Control Center Crashing has become rediculous. We have about 30 Control Center users and we have complaints from all of them regarding Control Center Freezing at random and having to kill the process and restart it. So far today, while in the monitor editor, I've had it lock up 5-10 times. The quality & performance of Labtech lately is a abysmal, this has been an issue with all Control Center versions. Please release a fix.
kweller.omegapa

Previous

Return to Control Center