LabTech Support Forums

Setting Up Labtech Centralized Update Cache

This forum is for discussion of Control Center related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Postby teamits » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:09 pm

vsouthmayd wrote:The problem I have with this is that the %password% and %adminpassword% are in clear text in variable dumps and in the Computer config viewable by anyone working on the computers.

They are also visible under %computerpassword% and %computerusername%. There are a lot of non-hidden passwords in Labtech. Glad we're using SSL for communication.

Who knows about which variables came first...the variable dump has about twice what's in the wiki, and it figures the three needed aren't listed in either spot.

It's too bad the U: drive sticks around after disconnection. That could confuse clients. We have Vista; maybe it doesn't in XP. It would be better if it just made the connection via UNC and didn't map a drive.

It would also be nice if the location would accept %adminusername% and %adminpassword% as variables so the password isn't visible, but that doesn't seem to work.
Steve
teamits

Postby teamits » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:59 pm

Adding "|V" on the end of the location drive path seemed to make caching not work. If I added "|T" it seemed to still use drive letter U.
Steve
teamits

Postby vernon.app-care » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Possibly needs T: instead? I had not played with that but know it should work based on a more recent conversation unless it is a recent MR2 thing. I bet that is why it is not working.

I am more concerned about technician access to a lot of these things. The clear text %password% value shows on the Edit Computer Config, Folders and Cache tab. If the cache user is dedicated to caching permissions only and not the administrator credential it is less crucial.

If you have customer privacy concerns you should disallow Technician editing of the computer config as it allows the tech to override security configurations like the Access Modes set in the templates.
Last edited by vernon.app-care on Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vernon Southmayd
Java, Reader, iTunes and others - Audited, Updated, Verified, Ticketed and Billed
web: http://www.app-care.com
vernon.app-care

Postby kevingib » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:55 pm

LT support says the username and pwd should be encrypted now and they are going to look into why that isnt the case.

"This login and password is not encrypted? It should be encrypted"
Kevin Gibson
VP / CTO
Atlanta Technology Force, Inc.
O 678-935-9190 Ext 103
C 404-680-9908
Company Site http://www.unifiedsysmgt.com
MSP Centrifuge Peer Groups http://themspcentrifuge.com
kevingib

Postby teamits » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Just a follow up to this...in the 5-6 weeks since we implemented this in our office the cache folder has grown to contain over 2 GB of data, so it grows fast. So again, an auto-prune option or auto-prune script would be nice.
Steve
teamits

Postby kevingib » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:06 pm

You can autoprune it by running the LT Cleanup stuff that is integrated. Just set your lcoation to match your cache area if they are consistent amoung your clients and set the stuff to delete * with less than x days to be kept. I will test this tonight as well as test setting the drive letter since I am now removing the drive visability on the clients side and need to ensure I always have the cache in the same location on each of the machines. We dont think ANYONE uses V: so that is my plan to test.
Kevin Gibson
VP / CTO
Atlanta Technology Force, Inc.
O 678-935-9190 Ext 103
C 404-680-9908
Company Site http://www.unifiedsysmgt.com
MSP Centrifuge Peer Groups http://themspcentrifuge.com
kevingib

Postby teamits » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:23 pm

Hmmm, it may depend on what date it uses for the files. I picked an update at random (0fb35734-4171-4a51-bf1a-788b112f662f) and most files in that directory are time stamped 5/20/10. I suppose if one deletes outside the hotfix window, then it will be OK, and just get redownloaded if necessary.
Steve
teamits

Postby teamits » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Figures, now that I posted we ran across an issue in our office where the agent appears to be mapping drive X: on some PCs which is a drive we normally have mapped elsewhere. I tried setting the cache drive location to \\server\share\path|U: to use the default U: drive, and applied the template and config, but the agent is still mapping X:.

Edit to clarify: the other PCs don't have an extra drive letter, so it is either successfully being hidden, or not being mapped at all.
Last edited by teamits on Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
teamits

Postby vernon.app-care » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:24 pm

Try to pull up the current Computer Config and see if the policy has been updated on the machine. The registry location for the cache Drive is:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Labtech\Service\CacheDrive

It only holds the Drive letter without the colon.
Vernon Southmayd
Java, Reader, iTunes and others - Audited, Updated, Verified, Ticketed and Billed
vernon.app-care

Postby teamits » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:38 pm

"Computers [sic] Current Config" is what I was looking at...it shows U: but the registry shows drive X on my PC also, even though it's not mapped to the cache location for me. (it's mapped to the share in my login script)

Another tech here noticed that if the drive is mapped manually while the agent service is stopped, it will not take it over. So that's a workaround for us.
Steve
teamits

Postby teamits » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:24 pm

Per support it sounds like 2010.2 changed the default drive letter from U: to X: but they didn't explain how to change it now, since presumably that changed also (or doesn't work now). I'll post back when they reply.
Last edited by teamits on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
teamits

Postby vernon.app-care » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:57 pm

I just changed my location Drive field to \\server\cache-share|T Forced the template to apply which picked up the new cache Drive letter, changed the Effective Policy and pushed the Config Update to the Machine. The registry value on my system changed from X to T and I now have a disconnected T: drive in my computer with all of the cache contents.
Vernon Southmayd
vernon.app-care

Postby teamits » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:21 pm

I changed it from |U: to |U and that also didn't work.
Steve
teamits

Postby luke.incomservice » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:45 pm

Using \\server\share|Z: works here. I'm putting that in the location window.

Also, regarding the comments about "auto pruning" the cache location... I think what teamits has brought up is a good reason NOT to prune the location. For example, he uses "X:" drive to store client docs, and labtech is trying to map "X:" as the cache... Let's pretend like labtech DOESN'T map "X:", but still thinks its the cache, and then the disk cleanup command runs... Oops, sorry, all of your data in your client docs just got deleted!

So... Until Labtech can do caching without a mapped network drive, then I would say we need to do manual cleanups. It's too risky, in my opinion, otherwise.

Which begs the question... Why do we need this mapped drive anyway?
--Luke
luke.incomservice

Postby vernon.app-care » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Yeah, what happens when someone puts C:\ in the location drive field.

We all know better, but if you read the release notes for MR2 the last line reads "DiskClean up prevents cleanup of "." ".." "%windir%" and the System32 folder." Someone actually put "." in their template for the LT Agent Temp Directory. The LT Disk Cleanup program was ran from the C:\Windows and began clearing . the current directory c:\Windows. Oops unintended consequences.

I have no idea why the agent is not using the UNC to access the cache.
Vernon Southmayd
vernon.app-care

PreviousNext

Return to Control Center