LabTech Support Forums

Caching Query

This forum is for discussion of patch and hotfix related issues.

Moderator: jware.connectwise

Caching Query

Postby jason.rodda.hoodsweeney » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:29 pm

Hello,

Just in regards to configuring caching.

Should the drive actually be mapped and assigned to a drive letter for it to work?

I can't seem to get the caching drive to map automatically on the computer.
jason.rodda.hoodsweeney

Re: Caching Query

Postby travis.phipps.solerant » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Lt will actually map it automatically as x: on the agents but it's hidden so you can't actually see that. We always just access it via the unc path. Btw, you have to specify the unc path on the location screen. Can't specify a mapped drive letter.
Hope some of that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
travis.phipps.solerant

Postby teamits » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:19 pm

What we ended up doing was:

1) Set an admin password for the Location

2) On the Deployment & Defaults tab pick that login in Agent Deployment Settings

3) On our template to enable the cache, set Cache Directory to %drive% and Cache Username to %adminusername%. Cache Password I believe was %adminpassword%.

4) On the Location's General tab, set the Drive field to: \\SERVER\CacheShareName$|B
...the "|B" says to use drive B. LabTech will start at the drive letter and go backwards until it finds one available, wrapping around if necessary. We found no PCs used drive B.

The mapped drive is shown as "disconnected" unless hidden so we do this on domains where we set a group policy to hide drive B and that has a domain admin password we can use. (hint: don't use the only domain admin login, and then change its password, since when the agents try to connect with the old password they will cause the account to lock)

No, I don't know why LabTech uses a mapped drive. Since the files are copied locally before use, it seems to me the drive letter is unnecessary.
Steve
teamits

Postby teamits » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:49 am

I'm not sure if it happened in 11 or 12, since we were only on 11 a short time, but in v12 the caching apparently doesn't map a drive letter or keep the connection open unless it is being used.
Steve
teamits

Return to Patching